Friday, March 19, 2010

Characters

I love taking portraits of people. I've been working with people for years, documenting them, and taking their pictures. This section details some of those experiences. So much can be said in the human face. But the pictures are not always of the face. You can render someone's portrait by simply taking a picture of their hands. It's a beautiful process, and it's all about the relationship you form with your subject. For more detailed photo essays, please refer to my website.



Cinnamon Girl



I can only admit to knowing one true desperado. I met her when I was 22 years old, and I’ve been thinking about her ever since. She was working at a cafĂ© on Main Street. I saw her, and then I had to see her again. I waited outside, determined to talk to her as she ended her shift. She came out on her break. I went up to her and got her number. I kept that piece of paper in my wallet for years.

I left to go back to college. She gives me a note that I read on the plane. Arresting language. One line I remember even now, “do not be afraid, for it does not suite you.” How did she know?

The letters come steadily for the next two years. Then no more. 5 years go by. I don’t even know her full name. I don’t even know how to spell her first name, Kali, Cali, Callie, Khali . . .

I forget the dream. I make up a place for us to live in called “Sand Country,” after the time we watched a sunset on the beach. I want it to be a title for my book. She becomes a character in my fiction.

Miracle. 5 years later we are sitting across from each other in a diner on Main Street. We do not talk at first. We are scared to break the memories. She has three circular scars on her arm. I have become a Mormon.

Later that night we kiss. This is the first time we have ever kissed. I have not kissed a girl in 2 years.  She tells me her full name for the first time.

Note: I've been trying to photograph this girl for years. But for one reason or another is never works out. Finally, after so much time, we find eachother on a beach, and just as the sun is setting, I pull my camera out. I love this picture of Callie May. It says a lot about her, and a lot about us.

4 comments:

  1. Misha, you are an excellent writer. I get so caught up in your stories because you make them tangible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed both Character profile and can't wait to read more about the people in your life. Thanks for sharing your perspective of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, well done in capturing someone so well in both picture and word. I hope to see additions to the characters.

    ReplyDelete